Monday, February 22, 2016

Author Life Month - Days 21 & 22

Day 21: My muse. I have different ones for different stories but, I can show you the first. The original face of The Holler before it spun into plots for 7 books and 2 short stories and God only knows what else. The face of the twin guardians, Mat (Matchetehew) and Sig (Misignwa), Angel Macho.



















Day 22: A dedication page-
Well, my father actually inspired this entire series, telling me stories of home. He'd grown up in Appalachia with these superstitions and legends all around him. So I guess he really created the world, I just put the pieces together. This is my dedication to him, which will appear in The Holler.

"This story is dedicated to my father, Jim. Born and raised in a little hamlet at the foothills of the Appalachians, he has an endless reservoir of memories of his life in southeastern Ohio. We moved away when I was young but, those woods are still home, nurtured by the heartsick memories of one of their native sons. For you, dad, for letting me tax your mind and coercing you to go over all those old maps. For letting me drag you back through the mud and hills to all those hidden places. They say you can’t go home again. We did, if only for a little while. No one ever really leaves the holler. It’s in the blood and those woods and their secrets will always be waiting for us, with open arms and stories to be told.

To the residents of Vinton County, Ohio, thank you for keeping those woods through the years and for being one of the last safe havens where magic and folklore run free.  No matter how far away we might get, we all know that if we just follow the river, we’ll find our way home.

Harper L. Jameson"

No comments:

Post a Comment