Sunday, January 31, 2016

Character Interview: Weshemoneto


This is what I get when I attempt to get into a character's head. When the character is The Great Spirit, things get a little sideways. Fast.

1. What do you want? The pauwau. Annie. (He grins a flash of lengthening canines)
2. Say you're using Annie for something...what would it be? Oh, I can think of a lot of things I would use her for. But, she would enjoy them. I promise.
3. What are they using you for? (He frowns here, thinking.) The kweewa could be using me for power but, her own is strong. She says she needs my help. My help comes with a price.
4. How do you feel about that? (He shrugs absently) I will give her what she asks. My conditions will be met, either way. She is stubborn, my ni'wa.
5. Assuming you and Annie work out your differences, what's gonna keep you from living happily ever after? There is no happily ever after. There is only the destiny given to us by our pattern in the blanket. But we will be together.
6. Even though we hope they'll never do it, for now just pretend it could happen: What's the worst thing Annie could do to you? (His face darkens, his magic summoned into storm clouds above him.) She could die. It's the only thing that will keep me from making her mine.
7. Why would that be so bad? (He frowns again, seeming confused.) I... I need her. I cannot let her die. It is... (he seems to search for a word) wrong. Her death would be a wrong against the spirits. (He seems to be witholding something here but, he's so obviously bothered, I don't press.)
8. Why would you deserve it? For going against the laws of the Tribe. For bringing cha mok mon to safety in our village instead of leaving them to die.
9. What's the worst thing you could do to Annie? I have no plan to hurt the pauwau. Ever.
10. Why would they deserve it? There is nothing she could do that would earn my anger.
11. Why on earth do you want a relationship with her? The kweewa isn't like the other cha mok mon.. the white men. She sees the spirits like we do. And when she looked into the fire.. she saw me. We are one, somehow. I need to make her see it.

We done now, manito siki? I have...preparations to make for their crossing.

12. I just have one more question, Weshemoneto. What does manito siki mean? (He stands to his towering height and grins down at me, flipping a long midnight braid over one massive shoulder and turning toward the door of his hut.) Means Spirit Writer. Don't stop the story, kweewa. When the threads of the blanket are too faded to see, we will need the words to remember the legends to come. The day is coming. And all we will have are the stories. (He disappears in a flash of golden fire, leaving me alone in his hut and trying to figure out how the hell I'm getting home.)

No comments:

Post a Comment